Subscribe for this article updates
This is a beta image, it's not granted that it contains the same components you'll find in the final release images and some features are not supported at the moment.
The image runs on Colibri i.MX7 modules. The image has been tested using the Colibri Evaluation Boards, those are the suggested platforms for experimenting with the image.
The Colibri i.MX7 modules will come with a WinCE license valid for Windows Embedded Compact 2013 and Windows Embedded Compact 7 for free. Some of the early modules will not have the license sticker installed. You are still allowed to use them for tests if order modules you will use for a final product you have to make sure the license sticker is installed. If you are unsure if your next order includes the stickers get in touch Toradex. More details about licensing in this article.
- To get image please check here http://developer.toradex.com/software/windows-embedded-compact/imx7-wec-software
- Get empty sd card and format it to FAT
- Copy files eboot.imx, nk7.bin and nk8.bin to SD card
- Do not insert SD card in carrier board yet
- Insert the SD-card in the slot.
- Connect an USB cable to the USB client port of your Evaluation Board and also a serial or USB cable for the serial console. If you use USB cable also for serial emulation, check that the jumpers used to choose between USB and regular serial ports (JP17, JP19) are in the right position, check the carrier board datasheet for additional information.
- Press recovery button and hold it.
- Press and release the power button.
- Your PC should now detect iMX7 module.
- Start Recovery.bat inside the package, you downloaded from our website.
- You should see output similar to this
Executed plugin successfully.
Succeed to download ..\eboot.imx to the device.
Run into the image successfully.
- Now connect the serial port and start any terminal software. You should see this text "Press [SPACE] to enter Bootloader Menu". Press space now.
Toradex Bootloader 1.0b1 for iMX7 Built Apr 6, 2017
Reset cause: Booting from recovery mode 1
Overriding config block settings. Setting Delay to 30s and [SPACE] for bootloader entry
RAM :512 MB
PLL_CORE :792 Mhz
PLL_SYS :480 Mhz
PLL_ENET :1000 Mhz
IPG :33750 khz
UART :24000 khz
AHB :67500 khz
Colibri IMX7D module version 1.1B
Press [SPACE] to enter Bootloader Menu
Initiating image launch in 29 seconds.
- Press X to enter E-Boot menu.
- Type "flashloader" and press enter. At this point, it will flash the E-Boot.
- Power cycle the module. The 1st boot may take some time as its checking NAND.
- If the module does not boot to E-Boot after 10s look into the chapter -> Restoring config block
- Type "eraseflash filesystem" and press enter. This will erase the filesystem partition of NAND
- If the module booted to e-boot you can now type "flashimage nk7.bin" to flash WEC7 or "flashimage nk8.bin" to flash WEC2013.
- Enter the recovery mode as described above (steps 3 and 4).
- When the device is in the command prompt of recovery mode type
- "restorefactoryinfo CIMX7S256 12345678 1.0A" depending on your module type. See more information bellow:
Specify model, serial number and version.
Example: restorefactoryinfo CIMX7S256 12345678 1.0A
You can find this information on the label attached to your module.
Valid model names are CIMX7S256 and CIMX7D512
- After config block is created continue with chapter Flashing E-Boot and Windows Embedded Compact.